Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Are you Pagan Enough When Life Gets Tough?

OK, this is the day I feared, the one on which I felt it was long past time to post something, but feeling I have nothing new or time-worthy to say. Emoting over my every change in mood does not make for good reading, though many drama divas seem to gather a huge following by chronicling the perils of their lives.

I've decided life is perilous enough all by itself without any added drama. Most of the people I know well have all the drama they can handle simply getting through each day. This clusterf@%ck of "things I must do yesterday" causes all the upheaval I never wanted.

Think about your own life. Not just the broad picture, but the daily details; the things that make you crazy, waste your time, and sap your energy. Standing in long lines everywhere for any service, going through a ten minutes "press 8 if you want to talk to another computer" before you get a live person on the phone, unexpected pet messes, children's schedules and dramas, automatic payments deducted earlier than agreed upon, planning meals, illnesses, doing housework, paying bills, etc. Then there the nightmare of working itself, tasks which can make you feel like you're a car stuck in the snow without any hope of gaining traction.

Many of us remember when one salary could support a family. Somewhere between the 70s and the 80s this task suddenly took two incomes. Now most families need more than two income to keep going, and adults are taking part-time or seasonal jobs to pay the bills--not for the extras, but for the basic necessities of life. People well-past retirement age are out working to pay for the high cost of living, not to have something useful to do as was common in the past.

Then comes the trade-off mind game? How does one decide if a sick child, an elderly relative, personal medical appointments, or or other surprises requires giving up a day at one job or another? If that job is given up for the day do you risk losing it, or do you just lose the pay you need to pay for the surprise. Do you work when you're sick and stay home with sick relatives? That says a lot about the love you have for family, but what is it doing to your health and sanity?

Almost all of us put family and close friends first in our lives, and almost all of us have been faced with circumlocating the normal routines of hectic days to accommodate upheavals. We start our days before sun up, and then we hope for some quality time with loved ones and some private time before we have to start thinking about tomorrow and getting into bed. Face it, we all know we are a sleep deprived nation of over-stressed parents, over-worked employees, and overdrawn bank accounts.

Where does the general Pagan attitude toward life teach us that can help us get through the bad days? And, face it, we've had a lot more bad days than good for the last few years.

Trying to avoid making negative statements is easy for many of us simply because other Pagans, or even non-Pagans who believe in the power of positive thinking, call us on it when we say the wrong thing. However, there are no thought police, and sometimes convincing ourselves that everything is and will be fine is a huge hurdle to overcome. I've managed to catch myself in many of those mind-gaffs and mentally erase the images and words and re-create my present and my future. Is it working? Yes. No one has handed me a winning lotto ticket yet, but the focus on abundance has pulled me through the economic nightmares of this long recession.

I've written before about magick going mainstream, especially writing magick. Keep a notebook of positive, present tense affirmations. Write them daily--over and over. Put them under your pillow. Believe in what you write. After a few months of this no one will have to remind you to believe in prosperity for all ever again.

I don't feel jealousy for a friend or family member who succeeds. I feel an honest joy in their good fortune and know that the Goddess has created more than enough abundance for all. This was not always the case. It took time to fully assimilate the fact that no one's good fortune can take anything away from me. In fact, I believe that being around successful people about whom I care makes my own energy toward abundance stronger and, therefore, more open to receiving these blessings when they come my way.

For today I played the trade-off game. I work three jobs and attend grad school, but I have a sick dog and a brother with a family short one car. Today I chose to scale back the job duties and take my dog to the vet and be my brother's ride. I never forget every moment of life is a choice, and only I can make the choices, and only I can be blamed if those choices were not good ones.

To any of you reading this while juggling jobs, school, children, housework, networking, and other "have to do" things, please know you're in good company. Start realizing you can make positive changes in your corner of the world just by changing your attitude. No one said it would be easy, but, as Pagans, we know that nothing worthwhile comes without effort.

Wishing abundance to all,
Edain

3 comments:

  1. Edain, I just read your March 9 blog. I hope that by now you are in a calmer and happier place. Words are mirrors to the soul. Thank you for your closing wish of abundance, I claim it as my own. I wish you abundance, also, and peace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow... I wish you all the best in your life. Just never loose your faith.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Peace and Light, Edain

    I enjoy your blog!
    All the best to you in 2011!!!


    Bright Blessings & Stay well,

    Ten Nebula
    www.Tennebula.Blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete